Birds in Spain
10th year in a row informing on first-hand news on rare birds in Spain.
'Proud to gather observations from all those who make this possible for the benefit of birds and birding'.
The only comprehensive easy-to-read website on rare birds in Spain
Recent Reports: Latest
index (n= 8 + 16= 24) + 1 Only Canary Islands + 0 Gibraltar
ONLY FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS*
* processing of
these rarities dealt by CR/SEO, hence their inclusion here
Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus (1-8,9-10)
(1-8) A Coruña Eight birds were seen flying W from O Barqueiro, A Coruña on 13.11 (Ricardo Hevia)
(9-10) Asturies Two were seen on 22.11 at Escalante polder, Santander, Cantabria (Alejandro García Herrera). These birds had been found days before (Isidoro Fombellida).
Canada Goose Branta canadensis (1)
(1) Lugo The bird of nominal ssp. at Riocaldo lagoons, Begonte, Lugo remained there on 12.11 (David Calleja).
Pale-bellied Brent Goose Branta bernicla hrota (1-3,4)
(1-3) A Coruña . On 1.11 three individuals were seen at A Coruña city, near the football court (David Seoane). These three birds are NOT the same seen until the previous day at Cedeira, A Coruña because there are reports of these three from last 22.10.2009. See a photo below (D.Seoane). They were still there on 2.11 (David Seoane)
Photo above:© David Díaz Seoane 1.11.2009
(4) A Coruña . On 6.11 there was one at Baldaio, A Coruña (Xabier Varela). See a thumbnail here.Seen again on 26.11 (Xabier Varela)
Greenland White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons flavirostris (1)
(1) Asturies . On 6.11 an individual of this ssp was found at Ría de la Villa, Villaviciosa, Asturies (Adolfo Villaverde). Seen later by other observers (Xuan Cortés, thumbnails here). No accepted records in Spain so far. This bird was still around on 9-15.11 (Adolfo Villaverde)
American Black Duck Anas rubripes (1)
(1) Lugo.The Pepiño American Black duck was at Ría de Foz on 4.11 (Luis José Salaverri) and 12.11 (Luis José Salaverri). It was seen again in the same place on 19 and 22.11 (Luis José Salaverri)
Duck Aythya collaris (1)
(1) A Coruña There was a female at Cecebre reservoir, A Coruña on 8.11 (Xabier Varela)
Scaup Aythya affinis (1,2,3)
(1) A Coruña On 6.11 there was at least one male (but perhaps some females or 1w) at Valdoviño lagoon, A Frouxeira, A Coruña (Pablo Gutiérrez).
(2) A Coruña There was a drake on 8.11 at Cecebre reservoir, A Coruña(Xabier Varela). See a photo below
Photo above:© Xabier Varela 8.11.2009
(3) A Coruña There was an adult male on 19.11 at embalse de As Forcadas, Valdoviño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia, José Miguel Alonso Pumar)
Goosander Mergus merganser (1-7,8)
(1-7) Asturies . On 10.11 seven individuals (six males and a female) were seen at Ría de la Villa, Villaviciosa, Asturies (Adolfo Villaverde).
(8) Asturies .On 13:30 of 10.11 a male was seen from Punta de la Vaca, Gozón, flying offshore. It might be one of the above or another (Manuel Fernández Pajuelo, Nacho Castelao)
Grebe Podilymbus podiceps (1)
(1) Lugo The bird seen at Riocaldo lagoons, Begonte, Lugo from 23.8.2007 then again in Spring and Autumn 2008 and from January 2009 to September 2009 was seen again at the lagoon on 2.11 (Toño Salazar). Still around on 12.11 (David Calleja Marcos)
Tropicbird Phaeton aethereus (1)
(1) Lanzarote One individual was seen on 14.11 from Arrecife, Lanzarote (Francisco Javier García Vargas)
Hybrid Western Reef x Little Egret Egretta gularis x garzetta (1,2,3,4,5)
(1) Cádiz. A new bird was seen at Cádiz marshes: the former usual bird at salina San José del Palmar is no longer visible since the narby fishing farm is not working. However, on 9.11 a white-headed grey egret was seen at Salina Victoria del Trocadero, Puerto Real, Parque Natural Bahía de Cádiz (Rafael García Costales). See a photo below and a thumbnail here.
Photo above:© Rafael García Costales 9.11.2009
(2) Tarragona. The presumed hybrid from La Tancada lagoon was seen again on 7.11 (Cristian Jensen/Audouin Birding Tours), see a thumbnail here, and 10.11 (Stephen Cristopher, Paul Turkentine and Chris Turkentine/Catalan Bird Tours).It was seen again on 22.11 (Cristian Jensen / Audouin Birding Tours).
(3) Tarragona. A new presumed hybrid showing brown feathering in a morph unseen in Spain until now was photographed at Ebre delta near l'Encanyissada on 24.11 (Cristian Jensen/Audouin Birding Tours), see two photos below. A 2nd generation hybrid with bird (2) as a parent? (ed.comment).
Photo above:© Cristian Jensen/ Audouin Birding Tours 24.11.2009
(4) Valencia. A bird showing typical features such as grey body - whitish head was seen at La Ratlla, Silla marshes, Albufera de València, on 24.11 (Javier Marchamalo).See two thumbnails here.
(5) Valencia. A bird was seen at marjal de Sollana, near El Romaní, Albufera de Valencia, onl 27.11 (Jose Luís Terrasa y Bosco Dies). See a photo below (Bosco Dies)
Photo above:© Bosco Díes
Rüppell's Vulture Gyps rueppellii (1-3)
(1-3) Cádiz. On 1.11 there were at least three birds within a group of over 1000 Griffons waiting to cross to Africa at Tarifa, Cádiz (Javier Elorriaga). See a photo below.
Photo above:© Javier Elorriaga 1.11.2009
Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus (1)
(1) Cádiz A bird was seen at Los Barrios, Cádiz on 4.11 (Juan Ramírez, Javier Elorriaga). This is presumably the same adult seen last winter at the same place and frequenting the same sites. See two photos below and a thumbnail here. Seen again on 15.11 at the same place (Javier Elorriaga)
Photos above:© Javier Elorriaga 4.11.2009
Greater Spotted Eagle Aquila clanga (1-2)
(1-2) Alicante The Estonian eagle Tõnn and another Great Spotted Eagle seen last month were seen at El Hondo, Alicante, on 1.11 (Graham Critchell). The subadult unmarked eagle was seen again on 15.11 morning at Casa Vistabella (Hondo South Gate), but no sign of Tõnn (Graham Critchell). Tõnn was seen again on 22-23.11 (Nacho Castelao) and 25.11 (Graham Critchell). See a photo below.
Photo above:© Graham Critchell 25.11.2009
Plover Vanellus gregarius (1,2,3,4)
(1) Girona On 3.11 one was seen at Sobrestany ricefields, Baix Ter, Girona (Dani Burgas). See a photo below and thumbnail here.
Photo above:© Daniel Burgas 3.11.2009
(2) Badajoz On 3.11 too another bird was at embalse de Los Canchales, Mérida, Badajoz (José María Salazar)
(3) Sevilla. On 5.11 an individual was seen at Los Olivillos, Puebla del Río, Sevilla (Alfonso Barragán; Paco Chiclana, Fernando del Valle, Mario Martín y Ricardo Martín). See a thumbnail here. This bird was relocated on 15.11 at the same place (José Luis Anguita).
(4) Girona On 14.11 at 11 hours AM a 1w individual was found at Vilaüt lagoon, Parc Natural Aiguamolls de l'Empordà (Josep A. López i Montserrat Pérez). On 16.11 it was seen again at estany d'en Pericus, PNAE (Àlex Ollé, Joan Ventura, Àngel Prat i Jordi Martí-Aledo).
Hudsonian Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus hudsonicus (1) FIRST FOR SPAIN (Cat.A)
(1) A Coruña The bird found on 20.1 and seen again in March and until October was relocated on 6.11 (Xabier Varela). See a photo below (X.Varela). Seen again on 26.11 (Xabier Varela)
Photo above:© Xabier Varela 6.11.2009
Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans (1)
(1) A Coruña. A 2nd calendar year was photographed at Pantín beach, Valdoviño, A Coruña, on 5.11 (Antonio Gutiérrez). See a photo below.
Photo above:© Antonio Gutiérrez 5.11.2009
Iceland Gull Larus glaucoides (1,2)
(1) Pontevedra The same individual reported during august and coming from June 2009 and probably 24.1.2009 at the ría de Vigo was seen again on 28.11 at Canido - Samil beach area (Esther Abad, Xulio Valeiras). Interestingly, a local lady from the area has confirmed to the author that she was feeding the individual since Spring 2009 and that during the summer, the Iceland Gull was walking between the people sunbathing at the beach, and was very confiding. In october it was seen feeding on grapes near the beach. All the local inhabitants know the 'white gull'. See a photo below (X.Valeiras).On 28.11 this same bird was seen at playa de A Calzoa, Vigo, too (Rafael Salvadores).
Photo above:© Xulio Valeiras 28.11.2009
(2) Cádiz. A bird was on 30.11 at Chipiona harbour, Cádiz (Jorma Vickholm)
Little Swift Apus affinis (1-17)
(1-17) Cádiz There were 17 at Chipiona, Cádiz on 21.11 (Jorma Vickholm)
BELTED KINGFISHER Ceryle alcyon (1) FIRST FOR SPAIN AND SOUTH EUROPE. A CATEGORY
(1) Murcia. On 16.11 morning, a juvenile female was photographed at Rambla Albujón - Carmolí, Mar Menor, Cartagena, Murcia (Antonio Jesús Hernández Navarro). A full report is being prepared for the Spanish Rarities Committee. See a photo below and a complete photopage here. Seen again on 16.11 afternoon (Tomás García Rubio, Richard Howard) and 17.11 early morning (Xurxo Piñeiro). The bird is in the W coast of Mar Menor, S of Los Alcázares and N of Punta Brava, around 37.716267° -0.859515°. Download a Google Earth placemark (*kmz) here. Later on 17.11 it's seen again: Richard Howard at 10:00 h and in the evening Isidro Bartolomé García & Francisco Picón Díaz. The bird was seen again on 18.11 when it flew under the bridge on the road to Los Alcazares by the Rambla mentioned in this website (Graham Critchell). Seen in the afternoon too (Tomás García Rubio). Check the photopage for new comments on behaviour. Not seen since 18.11 (Antonio Jesús Hernández Navarro). The bird was relocated at the same place on Saturday 28.11 (Conrado Requena Aznar).See new thumbnails here.
Photo above:© Antonio Jesús Hernández Navarro 16.11.2009
Red-flanked Bluetail Tarsiger cyanurus (1) THIRD FOR SPAIN
(1) Almería. On 7.11 an individual was seen at San José, Cabo de Gata, Almería (Brian Harding)
Yellow-browed Warbler Phylloscopus inornatus (1,2,3,4)
(1) Fuerteventura There was a bird Betancuria (Fuerteventura) in a cultivated area on the south side of the village, just west of Calle de Roberto Roldan (FV-30), immediately south of the public parking area at the entrance to the village. It was in tamarisks and showed well on several occasions, also calling (Nick Crouch)
(2) Lanzarote A bird seen last month at Uga, Lanzarote, was still there on 19.11 (Francisco José García Vargas)
(3) Valencia. There was a bird at Racó de l'Olla, l'Albufera de València on 21.11 (Toni Alcocer, Daniel Hegëdus, Bosco Dies, Pedro Marín) and others (Jose Luis Terrasa, Gabi Llorens & Carlos Pérez).See a thumbnail here. It was still there on 23.11 (J.I. Dies, M.Chardí, I.Ruiz).See a photo below (J.I.Dies) and 26.11 (Eduardo de Juana, J.I.Dies)
Photo above:© J.Ignacio Dies 23.11.2009
(4) Málaga. A bird was found and seen at close range at Parque Tecnológico de Málaga on 29.11 (Israel Lozano)
Redpoll Carduelis flammea (1-5)
(1-5) Salamanca. At Aldeanueva de Figueroa, Salamanca, within a flock of 70 Carduelis cannabina, 5 Carduelis flammea were seen on 28.11 (Juan José Ramos Encalado). No ssp or form of Redpoll was reported (ed. comment).
Lapland Bunting Calcarius lapponicus (1)
(1) Cantabria. There was an individual at Langres, Cantabria, on 13.11 (Guillermo Rodríguez) and 14.11 (Guillermo Rodríguez, Alvaro Bustamante y Angel R. Elizalde; Jose Miguel Devesa, Juan Carlos Andrés). The bird is the 2nd for Cantabria, where it's very rare. Read a full account in Miradas Cantábricas blog here), and two photos below and thumbnail here (Guillermo Rodríguez, J.Carlos Andrés)
Photo above:© Guillermo Rodríguez 13.11.2009
Photo above:© Juan Carlos Andrés 14.11.2009
House Bunting Emberiza sahari (1)
(1) Cádiz. The adult of this species seen at Tarifa, Cádiz last month was seen again on 8.11 (Javier Elorriaga)
ONLY FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS*
Shelduck Tadorna tadorna (1)
(1) Gran Canaria There was a bird at Maspalomas pond, San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria on 21.11 (Miguel Avelino). See a photo below. The bird was seen again on 28.11 (Miguel Avelino y Eugenio Hernandes).
Photo above:© Miguel Avelino 21.11.2009
* Those species which are rarities only within the islands and are dealt with by CR/SEO are included here. Such records should be submitted to Juan Antonio Lorenzo at canarias @ seo.org
** Canarian records of species which are rarities nationwide are included in the main text in violet type.
*** Ringed birds in Spain have to be submitted and accepted by CR/SEO-BirdLife, according to Environment Ministery of Spain and the authonomous communities agreements, to be accepted as valid ringings in the national database. Otherwise, non submitted or rejected records will be deleted and ringings will not be included in national or international databases. Ringers not submitting rare bird ringings will be listed. Submitting ringing records is hence specially encouraged as a contribution to global bird knowledge..
REPORTS OF NON RARITIES OR FORMER RARITIES
Please consider the option to send reports of former rarities or interesting concentrations of non rarities to be featured in the Birdspain Blog, also linked in the homepage of this website.
citations / Citaciones recomendadas /Citació
- Whole document/ Documento
entero/ Document sencer:
Gutiérrez,R. (ed) (year, latest update), Recent Reports: [month
year]. Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved from http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm
- e.g. Gutiérrez,
R. (ed) (2002, April 3). Recent Reports: April 2002. Rare Birds in Spain.Retrieved
- Single records/
Citas sueltas/ Cites aïllades: Author (year). [Species] in Gutiérrez,R. (ed) (year, latest
update), Recent Reports: [month year]. Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved
- e.g. Rebassa,
M. (2002) Great White Egret Egretta alba in Gutiérrez, R.
(ed) (2002, April 3). Recent Reports: April 2002.Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved
birds featured in this page are rarities needing homologation by the CR/SEO
the information page for how to submit records to CR/SEO by e-mail
2005 this webpage only includes records of birds needing homologation
by CR/SEO. For other local rarities contact local bird reports or records
committees. See here those rarities only for the
Canary Islands also dealt by CR/SEO. Changes in application to the rarity
list from January 2006. New rarities include Sylvia curruca, Crex crex,
Sterna bengalensis and others. Larus delawarensis and Anthus
richardi have been withdrawn from the rarity list and are not be included
reports includes the latest sightings from the whole of Spain which are
both personal observations, communications or have been released in E-Mail
lists. Please contact the authors before using any photo for anything else
than personal reference. Any submitted news to this page will be forwarded
to the Spanish RC for their knowledge if enough substantiated but inclusion in this page does
not imply acceptance or homologation of any kind which needs a form to be sent. Gibraltar news are
included thanks to Gibraltar Ornithological & Natural History Society
but this has no more implication than the sake of completeness given this
area situation. Names of localities are featured as given by the authors
of the records, that should be cited as those. Today news are marked with
a icon. We would welcome to receive
a spare copy of those journals using these news for commercial purposes.
Contact RG at address at the front page. From April 2005 only news of rarities
needing homologation by the Spanish Rarities Committee are included. Reproduction
of the contents of this page in commercial websites (e.g. *.com) or for
commercial purposes is forbidden if not agreed in advance..
Go back to top
recientes incluye las últimas novedades del conjunto del país
que tanto son observaciones personales, comunicaciones al autor o noticias
difundidas en listas de correo. Por favor contacten los autores para cualquier
uso de las fotografias fuera del estrictamente personal.Cualquier cita
que se envie a esta página sera reenviada al CR/SEO para su conocimiento, pero su inclusión
aquí no implica su aceptación u homologación de ningún
tipo y son responsabilidad de sus autores y del envío de la ficha correspondiente. Los nombres de las localidades
se incluyen como son enviadas por los colaboradores, que deben ser citados
como autores de las citas. Las noticias más recientes se marcan
con Desde Abril de 2005 se incluyen
únicamente citas de rarezas que necesitan homologación
por el Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife. La reproducción
total o parcial de los contenidos de esta página está prohibida
en sitios web comerciales (p.ej. *.com) si no se autoriza de antemano. Ir
al inicio de la página
recents inclou les darreres novetats del conjunt de l'estat que són
observacions pròpies, comunicacions o noticies difoses a llistes
de correu. Si us plau contacteu amb els autors de les fotos per a a qualsevol
ús fora de l'estrictament personal. Qualsevol cita que sigui enviada
a aquesta plana serà rebotada també al CR/SEO si bé
la seva publicació aquí no implica la seva aceptació
o homologació de cap mena i és responsabilitat dels seus
autors que haurien d'enviar la fitxa corresponent emplenada. Els noms de les localitats són posats tal i com són
enviats pels autors, que han de ser referenciats com a autors de les cites.
Les notícies més recents són les marcades amb.Desd'Abril
de 2005 únicament s'inclouen cites de rareses que necessiten homologació
pel Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife.La reproducció total
o parcial dels continguts d'aquesta plana és prohidia per a qualsevol
lloc web de caire comercial (e.g. *.com) sinó s'ha autoritzat de
forma prèvia. Tornar a l'inici de la plana.
de momento no hay versión castellana disponible. Lamentablement,
de moment no hi ha versió catalana disponible.