Birds in Spain
10th year in a row informing on first-hand news on rare birds in Spain.
'Proud to gather observations from all those who make this possible for the benefit of birds and birding'.
The only comprehensive easy-to-read website on rare birds in Spain
Recent Reports: Latest
index (n= 4 + 28 = 32) + 0 Only Canary Islands + 0 Gibraltar
ONLY FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS*
* processing of
these rarities dealt by CR/SEO, hence their inclusion here
Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus (1)
(1) A Coruña A bird that was initially seen on 13.8 was relocated at Valdoviño lagoon on 26.10 (Laura Arce)
Pale-bellied Brent Goose Branta bernicla hrota (1-3)
(1-3) A Coruña . On 20.10 3 geese were seen landing at playa de Esmelle, Ferrol (Paco Girón). These birds may be the same seen from 21-26.10 at playa de la Magdalena, Cedeira, A Coruña (Rafael López Loureiro y Santiago Freire).See a thumbnail here (R.López)
American Black Duck Anas rubripes (1)
(1) Lugo. Pepiño is back. The returning American Black Duck, locally named 'Pepiño' that returned to ría de Foz, Lugo, on 11-12.9 was still there on 9-10.10 (Luis José Salaverri) and 14.10 (L.J.Salaverri). The bird was still there on 23-24.10 (Luis J.Salaverri) and 30.10 (L.J.Salaverri) to 31.10 (Toño Salazar)
Duck Aythya collaris (1,2)
(1) A Coruña On 20.10 a female or 1w was found at Cecebre reservoir, A Coruña ( Fernando Pereiras , Xabier Varela). See a thumbnail here.It was seen again on 28.10 (Xabier Varela, Carmen Mouzo) and 31.10 (Sergio París, Belén Lorenzo y Xabier Varela))
(2) A Coruña. On 26.10 an individual remained at As Forcadas reservoir, A Coruña (Pablo Gutiérrez).
Bulwer's Petrel Bulweria bulweri (1)
(1) Gipuzkoa A bird was seen off Getaria, Gipuzkoa from a research vessel on 22.10 (Xulio Valeiras). Last year another bird was recorded in Spanish waters on 6.10.2008..
Hybrid Western Reef x Little Egret Egretta gularis x garzetta (1,2)
(1) Cádiz. There was one bird at Cortijo de Adventus, Trebujena, Cadiz (Río Guadalquivir basin) on 1.10 (Stephen Daly,Ole Jørgen Hansen and his wife Tøne / Andalucian Guides). It might be the brid seen formerly near codo de la Esparraguera, at the Doñana area too (ed. comment). See a photo below (Stephen Daly).
Photo above:© Stephen Daly 1.10.2009
(2) Tarragona. The bird seen last month was still around La Tancada lagoon on 11.10 (Josep Tantull, Roser Solé; Ricard Gutiérrez; Ricardo Rodríguez, Miguel Grande, see photos and thumbnails below and here) and 12.10 (Ricard Gutiérrez; Josep Tantull, Roser Solé). It is finishing its primary wing moult and still presents worn ornamental feathers (see photos below). The bird was seen again on 17.10 (Ricard Gutiérrez, Toni Alonso, Sergi Sales) but it was feeding at Illa de Riu ricefields.
Photo above:© Ricard Gutiérrez 12.10.2009
Photos above:© Josep Tantull & Roser Solé 12.10.2009
Photo above:© Ricardo Rodríguez 11.10.2009
Flamingo Phoenicopterus minor (1-2)
(1-2) Cádiz There were 2 at Salinas de Bonanza, Sanlucar de Barrameda, Cádiz, on 24.10 (Alberto Savijn, José Luis Anguita)
Rüppell's Vulture Gyps rueppellii (1,2-3,4,5,6)
(1) Cádiz. A bird of this species was seen at Los Alcornocales Natural Park, near Tarifa, Cádiz, on 3.10. The bird had been shot in one wing (see photo below). The bird had obviously preened and cleaned off a lot of the damaged and broken secondaries, and coverts. But you can still see some shotgun holes in the wing (Stephen Daly, Gunnar and Lena Steinholz and Ulf Stengård). This bird (or another with a damaged wing) was seen at Tarifa, Cádiz on 19.10 (Jukka Rokanen)
Photo above:© Stephen Daly 3.10.2009
(2-3) Cádiz. Two birds were seen from Algarrobo, Algeciras, on 4.10 with 38 Gyps fulvus. See a photo of one below (Pablo Barrena)
Photo above:© Pablo Barrena 4.10.2009
(4) Cádiz. A bird was photographed at Bolonia, Cádiz with two Griffons on 5.10 (Pablo Barrena). See a thumbnail here.
(5) Cádiz. Perhaps birds 2-3 and another, totalling 3, were seen from Torrelapeña, Tarifa on 11.10 ( Pablo Alarcón, José Miguel Cruz y Gonzalo Lage). One of these birds (or another which might be indistinguishable) was seen at Tarifa, Cádiz on 19.10 (Jukka Rokanen). Yet another or one of these was seen on 21.10 with bird (6), see below.
(6) Cádiz. On 9.10 at 13 hours, an individual having two YELLOW wing-tags was seen from Algarrobo bird observatory, Algeciras. There is only one bird carrying these marks and was ringed at Alcoi, Alacant (537 km distant) on 11.8.2008 (see Fapas web here for some photos). The bird was relocated on 21.10 and it was seen as tagged with letters 8LX. It was within a 400 Griffons group including another Rüppells'. It was in active moult with 9th primaries growing and the 10th retained from juvenile plumage (Javier Elorriaga, Juan Ramírez, Antonio Román Muñoz, Andrés de la Cruz / Fundación Migres)
Pallid Harrier Circus macrourus (1)
(1) Huelva On 31.10 a 3rd calendar-year male was seen at Doñana National Park, between marisma de Hinojos and Reserva del Guadiamar (Carlos Gutiérrez Expósito).
Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus (1)
(1) Cádiz A bird was photographed from Algarrobo, Algeciras, on 4.10 (Pablo Barrena).See a thumbnail here.
Greater Spotted Eagle Aquila clanga (1,2)
(1) Albacete- Alicante The Estonian eagle Tõnn that entered Spain on 26.9 presumably remained around Albacete area on 1.10 (Urmas Sellis). There will be more news also in the Rarebirdspain blog here. On 6.10 the eagle had arrived to El Hondo, Alicante, where it stayed last winter (Urmas Sellis). See more information here. Tõnn was seen and photographed on 17.10 (Graham Critchell) and 18.10 (Antoni Zaragozí). See two photos below and a thumbnail here.The eagle was seen again on 21,24,28 and 30.10, this last day in company of a 2nd (unmarked) Greater Spotted at the same place (Graham Critchell).
Photo above:© Graham Critchell 17.10.2009
Photo above:© Antoni Zaragozí 18.10.2009
(2) Alicante An immature bird, lightly spotted only, that may be the same bird that was there last year, joined the Estonian eagle Tõnn at El Hondo, Alicante, on 30.10 (Graham Critchell).
Corncrake Crex crex (1,2)
(1) València An individual was seen at Devesa del Saler, P.N de l'Albufera de València, on 14.10 (Toni Alcocer) after two having arrived at the recovery center of the area the last days of September (28 & 29.9) after having crashed against buildings of Valencia city after servere storms those days (Toni Alcocer, in litt.).
(2) Ciudad Real. A bird was seen at Junta de los Ríos at Alcazar de San Juan, Ciudad Real, on 29.10 (Xurxo Piñeiro).
African Swamphen Porphyrio (porphyrio) madagascarensis (1) FIRST FOR SPAIN
(1) Gran Canaria An individual of this subspecies of the Purple Swamphen sometimes regarded as different species was found exhausted at at Gran Canaria on 2.10 when it was brought to the recovery center. It recovered and it was ringed and released into the wild at Charca de Maspalomas, San Bartolomé de Tirajana, on 25.10 (Pascual Calabuig) where it was relocated on 26.10 (Manuel Negrín).A first for Spain. Read in Spanish about the record and its origin at the Canary Islands Birding News blog here. And see photos below and thumbnails here.
Photos above:© Pascual Calabuig
American Golden Plover Pluvialis dominica (1)
(1) La Palma There was a juvenile at Las Martelas ponds, Los Llanos de Aridane, La Palma island, SC Tenerife on 19.10 (Robert Burton). See a photo below (R.Burton). Read Canary Island bird news at Canary Islands bird news blog here. Seen again on 24.10 at the same place (Xabier Remirez).
Photo above:© Robert Burton 19.10.2009
Pectoral Sandpiper Calidris melanotos (1)
(1) Tenerife A juvenile was at an irrigating pond near El Médano, Granadilla de Abona, Tenerife, Canary Islands on 7.10 (Gustavo Peña Tejera). See a photo below. Read Canary Island bird news at Canary Islands bird news blog here.
Photo above:© Gustavo Peña 7.10.2009
Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus semipalmatus (1)
(1) La Palma There was a juvenile of this species at Las Martelas ponds, Los Llanos de Aridane, La Palma island, SC Tenerife on 26.10 (Robert Burton). See a photo below and thumbnails here. More information in Spanish at the Canary Islands Birding News blog.
Photo above:© Robert Burton 26.10.2009
Hudsonian Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus hudsonicus (1) FIRST FOR SPAIN (Cat.A)
(1) A Coruña The bird found on 20.1 and seen again in March and until September was relocated on 17.10 (Fernando Pereiras, Antonio Sandoval, Ana Torres, Manolo Carregal, Graciela Fernández, Raúl Fernández, Xabier Varela)
Long-tailed Skua Stercorarius longicaudus (1,2,3-5)
(1) A Coruña On 2.10 a juvenile bird was seen from Estaca de Bares cape, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia).
(2) A Coruña On 8.10 a juvenile bird was seen from Estaca de Bares cape, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia).
(3-5) A Coruña On 11.10 three birds were seen from Estaca de Bares cape, A Coruña (Antonio Sandoval,Antonio Fernández Marín y Luz Fernández; Ricardo Hevia, Toño Salazar).
Baltic Gull Larus fuscus fuscus (1)
(1) Málaga On 24.10 the adult bird ringed C1KV at Finland, was seen one year more at Málaga harbour (Salvador García). See a photo below and thumbnail here.
Photo above:© Salvador García 24.10.2009
Lesser-Crested Tern Sterna bengalensis (1-101,102)
(1-101) Ceuta There were 101 at Ceuta on 3.10 (Diego Jerez). Note: This species will probably no longer be considered rarity in Ceuta and Melilla from 2010 on.
(102) Cádiz. One was seen at Río Palmones mouth on 8.10 (Antonio Miguel Pérez, Quirri y Gonzalo Lage)
Little Swift Apus affinis (1-2,3-16,17-18)
(1-2) Cádiz There were two at Bolonia, Cádiz on 3.10 (Malcolm Palmer, Chris Byrne)
(3-16) Cádiz. At least there were 14 at Chipiona, Cádiz on 24.10 (Alberto Savijn, José Luis Anguita)
(17-18) Sevilla. There were 2 at Sierra Norte on 19.10 (JoseLuis Anguita y Javier Salcedo).
Bar-tailed Desert Lark Ammomanes cincturus (1)
(1) Tenerife There was a bird with a Trumpeter Finch near Roquito del Fraile pond, Arona, Tenerife, Canary Islands, on 9.10 (Julien Mazenauer, communicated by Fabian Schneider). Read Canary Island bird news at Canary Islands bird news blog here.
Citrine Wagtail Motacilla citreola (1)
(1) Girona One adult was found at antic estany de Pals, Pals, on 17.10 (Àlex Ollé). See two photos below and thumbnails here.
Photos above:© Àlex Ollé 17.10.2009
Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia curruca (1)
(1) Illes Balears.*** An euring 3 bird was trapped and ringed at Cabrera islands, Balearics on 5.10 (Eduardo Amengual, Clemente Álvarez Usategui). On 12.10.2008 another bird was ringed there too. See a photo below (Clemente Álvarez Usategui)
Photo above:© Clemente Álvarez Usategui 12.10.2009
Booted Warbler Hippolais caligatus (1) THIRD FOR SPAIN
(1) A Coruña One bird was seen and photographed at Cobás, near Ponzos,Ferrol, A Coruña on 8.10 (Pablo Gutiérrez). See a photo below.
Photo above:© Pablo Gutiérrezi 8.10.2009
Yellow-browed Warbler Phylloscopus inornatus (1,2,3,4)
(1) Illes Balears.*** A female bird was trapped and ringed at Cabrera islands, Balearics on 6.10 (Eduardo Amengual, Clemente Álvarez Usategui). On 5.10.2008 another bird was ringed there too!
(2) Illes Balears. An unringed bird was seen at Cabrera islands, Balearics on 10.10 (Eduardo Amengual).See a photo below (Clemente Álvarez Usategui)
Photo above:© Clemente Álvarez Usategui 6.10.2009
(3) Illes Balears.*** A was trapped and ringed at Cabrera islands, Balearics on 17.10 (Eduardo Amengual).
(4) Tenerife There was one at Uga, Lanzarote on 22-23.10 (F.Javier García Vargas). See a thumbnail here. It remained at the same site on 25.10 (F.J. García Vargas). See another thumbnail here.
Radde's Warbler Phylloscopus schwarzi (1) FOURTH FOR SPAIN
(1) Illes Balears.*** On 30.10, a 1w was trapped and ringed at Cabrera islands, Balearics (Eduardo Amengual). See a photo below (E.Amengual)
Photo above:© Eduardo Amengual 30.10.2009
Collared Flucatcher Ficedula albicollis (1)
(1) Illes Balears A bird was seen and heard, but not ringed, on 9-10.10 at at Cabrera island, Balearics (Eduardo Amengual, Clemente Álvarez Usategui). It is an adult, probably female.See a photo below (Clemente Álvarez Usategui)
Photo above:© Clemente Álvarez Usategui 9.10.2009
Lesser Redpoll Carduelis flammea (1)
(1) Cantabria. One cabaret bird was seen on 24.10 at Parque Natural de Oyambre, Cantabria (Alejandro García Herrera)
Bunting Calcarius lapponicus (1)
(1) Asturies On 21.10, one bird was at Cabu Peñes, Gozón, Asturies (Clemente Álvarez Usategui)
Rustic Bunting Emberiza rustica (1)
(1) Murcia A bird was trapped and ringed at San Pedro del Pinatar, Murcia on 30.10 (José Luís Murcia, Néstor Martínez, Maite Díaz, Francisco A. García Castellanos / ANSE). See two photos below and two thumbnails here. More comments in Spanish and same photos in larger size in their Anuario Ornitológico de Murcia blog here. Five accepted records in Spain up to 2007.
Photos above:© José Luís Murcia y Francisco Alberto García Castellanos / ANSE 30.10.2009
Little Bunting Emberiza pusilla (1-2,3)
(1-2) Illes Balears One or two birds were seen, but not ringed, on 16.10 at Cabrera island, Balearics (Eduardo Amengual). One of them remained in the island on 17.10 (E.Amengual)
(3) Illes Balears On 26.10 one was ringed at Cabrera island, Balearics (Eduardo Amengual). See a photo below (E.Amengual)
Photo above:© Eduardo Amengual 26.10.2009
House Bunting Emberiza sahari (1,2)
(1) Cádiz. The adult of this species seen at Tarifa, Cádiz from August and in September was still there on the week 19-22.10 (Juan Ramírez)
(2) Málaga. An adult was at Nerja, Málaga on 13.10 (Arne Kiis). The bird was seen for about 5 min around 14:35 in the afternoon. It was sitting on the edge of a roof of a house in one of the cozy narrow streets, Calle de Los Huertos, downtown the city of Nerja (Malaga province) approximately inland 100 m from the famous Balcón de Europa. The bird was silent and stayed in the same spot until the author left. THIRD FOR SPAIN
Photo above:© Arne Kiis 13.10.2009
ONLY FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS*
* Those species which are rarities only within the islands and are dealt with by CR/SEO are included here. Such records should be submitted to Juan Antonio Lorenzo at canarias @ seo.org
** Canarian records of species which are rarities nationwide are included in the main text in violet type.
*** Ringed birds in Spain have to be submitted and accepted by CR/SEO-BirdLife, according to Environment Ministery of Spain and the authonomous communities agreements, to be accepted as valid ringings in the national database. Otherwise, non submitted or rejected records will be deleted and ringings will not be included in national or international databases. Ringers not submitting rare bird ringings will be listed. Submitting ringing records is hence specially encouraged as a contribution to global bird knowledge..
REPORTS OF NON RARITIES OR FORMER RARITIES
Please consider the option to send reports of former rarities or interesting concentrations of non rarities to be featured in the Birdspain Blog, also linked in the homepage of this website.
citations / Citaciones recomendadas /Citació
- Whole document/ Documento
entero/ Document sencer:
Gutiérrez,R. (ed) (year, latest update), Recent Reports: [month
year]. Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved from http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm
- e.g. Gutiérrez,
R. (ed) (2002, April 3). Recent Reports: April 2002. Rare Birds in Spain.Retrieved
- Single records/
Citas sueltas/ Cites aïllades: Author (year). [Species] in Gutiérrez,R. (ed) (year, latest
update), Recent Reports: [month year]. Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved
- e.g. Rebassa,
M. (2002) Great White Egret Egretta alba in Gutiérrez, R.
(ed) (2002, April 3). Recent Reports: April 2002.Rare Birds in Spain. Retrieved
birds featured in this page are rarities needing homologation by the CR/SEO
the information page for how to submit records to CR/SEO by e-mail
2005 this webpage only includes records of birds needing homologation
by CR/SEO. For other local rarities contact local bird reports or records
committees. See here those rarities only for the
Canary Islands also dealt by CR/SEO. Changes in application to the rarity
list from January 2006. New rarities include Sylvia curruca, Crex crex,
Sterna bengalensis and others. Larus delawarensis and Anthus
richardi have been withdrawn from the rarity list and are not be included
reports includes the latest sightings from the whole of Spain which are
both personal observations, communications or have been released in E-Mail
lists. Please contact the authors before using any photo for anything else
than personal reference. Any submitted news to this page will be forwarded
to the Spanish RC for their knowledge if enough substantiated but inclusion in this page does
not imply acceptance or homologation of any kind which needs a form to be sent. Gibraltar news are
included thanks to Gibraltar Ornithological & Natural History Society
but this has no more implication than the sake of completeness given this
area situation. Names of localities are featured as given by the authors
of the records, that should be cited as those. Today news are marked with
a icon. We would welcome to receive
a spare copy of those journals using these news for commercial purposes.
Contact RG at address at the front page. From April 2005 only news of rarities
needing homologation by the Spanish Rarities Committee are included. Reproduction
of the contents of this page in commercial websites (e.g. *.com) or for
commercial purposes is forbidden if not agreed in advance..
Go back to top
recientes incluye las últimas novedades del conjunto del país
que tanto son observaciones personales, comunicaciones al autor o noticias
difundidas en listas de correo. Por favor contacten los autores para cualquier
uso de las fotografias fuera del estrictamente personal.Cualquier cita
que se envie a esta página sera reenviada al CR/SEO para su conocimiento, pero su inclusión
aquí no implica su aceptación u homologación de ningún
tipo y son responsabilidad de sus autores y del envío de la ficha correspondiente. Los nombres de las localidades
se incluyen como son enviadas por los colaboradores, que deben ser citados
como autores de las citas. Las noticias más recientes se marcan
con Desde Abril de 2005 se incluyen
únicamente citas de rarezas que necesitan homologación
por el Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife. La reproducción
total o parcial de los contenidos de esta página está prohibida
en sitios web comerciales (p.ej. *.com) si no se autoriza de antemano. Ir
al inicio de la página
recents inclou les darreres novetats del conjunt de l'estat que són
observacions pròpies, comunicacions o noticies difoses a llistes
de correu. Si us plau contacteu amb els autors de les fotos per a a qualsevol
ús fora de l'estrictament personal. Qualsevol cita que sigui enviada
a aquesta plana serà rebotada també al CR/SEO si bé
la seva publicació aquí no implica la seva aceptació
o homologació de cap mena i és responsabilitat dels seus
autors que haurien d'enviar la fitxa corresponent emplenada. Els noms de les localitats són posats tal i com són
enviats pels autors, que han de ser referenciats com a autors de les cites.
Les notícies més recents són les marcades amb.Desd'Abril
de 2005 únicament s'inclouen cites de rareses que necessiten homologació
pel Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife.La reproducció total
o parcial dels continguts d'aquesta plana és prohidia per a qualsevol
lloc web de caire comercial (e.g. *.com) sinó s'ha autoritzat de
forma prèvia. Tornar a l'inici de la plana.
de momento no hay versión castellana disponible. Lamentablement,
de moment no hi ha versió catalana disponible.