Rarebirdspain recommends Audouin Birding Tours
Birds in Spain
Recent Reports: Latest sightings
* processing of these rarities dealt by CR-SEO/BirdLife, hence their inclusion here
(2) Cantabria . There was a bird at Pantano del Ebro, Cantabria on 2.1 (Delfín González, David Martinez Andrade ). See a photo below and a thumbnail here.
(3-4) Zamora . There were two at Villafáfila lagoons on 10.1 (José Barrueso)
(5) Albacete . The bird found at Laguna del Aljibarro, Albacete last month was still present on 6.1 (Rafa Torralba, Teresa de Miguel) and 12.1 (David Cañizares). Still there on 22.1 (José Manuel Reolid, Francisco Tornero, Raúl Galindo y David Cañizares)
(6) Palencia . There was a bird on 15.1 at Becerril de Campos, Palencia (José Gomez Aparicio).
(7) Navarra . The bird found on 20.10 at Pitillas lagoon, Navarra, was still there on 26.1 (Juan Carlos Lorenzo)
(2) Asturias . The 1w found at Parque Isabel la Católica, Gijón, Asturias was still present there on 3.1 (Manuel Quintana Becerra y Conchi O. Ania). See a thumbnail here.
(3-6) Zamora . Four were found at Villafáfila lagoons, Zamora on 10.1 (José Barrueso). They were still around on 11.1 (Cristian Osorio, J.Alberto Fernández, Alfredo Hernández y Maribel Martín).See a record-shot below (J.Alberto Fernández). On 20.1 one bird was seen, perhaps one of those or a new one (Alfonso Rodrigo). See a thumbnail here.
Red-breasted Goose Branta ruficollis (1,2)
(2) Huelva . Thre was a bird on 28.1 at Marisma de hinojos, Doñana, Huelva (Luis García, José Sarrión). This bird was present since 14.1 (L.García). See a thumbnail from 14.1 here.
(2) Zamora . A drake was found at Salina Grande, Villafáfila, Zamora on 8.1 (Luis Sitges)
(3) Asturias . A drake was seen on 5.1 at ría de Ribesella, Asturies, where it was seen again on 7.1 (Xuan Cortés). See two thumbnails here.
(4) Madrid . A drake was seen on 20.1 at Junta de los Ríos, Rivas Vaciamadrid, Madrid (José María Paraíso Hernández). See a photo below. Record submitted to the CR-SEO/BirdLife.
(2) Asturias . There was a female on 2.1.2014 at Embalde de Valdemuriu, Quirós, Asturies. This individual had been there from 22.11.2013 and 2.1 was the last sighting to date (Xuan Cortés). See a thumbnail here.
(2) Barcelona. The bird seen in previous months was seen again at Can Dimoni, Sant Boi de Llobregat, Llobregat delta, on 8.1 (Josep Bel). Seen again on 24.1 (Ferran López). See a thumbnail here.
(2) Sevilla. On 19.1 there was a male at Entremuros, Doñana, Sevilla (Carlos Rossi, Juan Miguel García Riego). See a thumbnail here.
(3) Murcia. On 29.1 an adult ♀ was seen at Marina de Carmoli, Mar Menor, Cartagena, Murcia (Juan Antonio Capel). See a photo below. On 30.1 it was seen again (Richard Howard).
(4) Huelva. On 29.1 there was an adult male at La Rocina, Doñana, Huelva (Jorge Bellido, Alberto Plata).
(2) Alicante. There were three birds on 17.1 at El Hondo: adult bird, Sub-adult bird and 1st Winter bird seen from the first hide along the Vistabella road overlooking El Hondo, Alicante (Graham Critchell).This bird was seen again on 18.1 (Graham Crtichell) and this and another adult were on 22.1at Parc Natural del Fondó d'Elx, Alacant (Juanma Pérez-García). The adult was seen again on 30.1 from the boardwalk at the Visitor Centre (Graham Critchell).
(3) Alicante. There were three birds on 17.1 at El Hondo: adult bird, Sub-adult bird and 1st Winter bird seen from the first hide along the Vistabella road overlooking El Hondo, Alicante (Graham Critchell). Seen again on 29.1 from the platforms at Santa Agueda (Graham Critchell).
(4) Alicante. There were three birds on 17.1 at El Hondo: adult bird, Sub-adult bird and 1st Winter bird seen from the first hide along the Vistabella road overlooking El Hondo, Alicante (Graham Critchell). The 1w was seen again on 22.1 in the South area, Alacant (Pep Cantó, Rubén Oliver, Pablo Santonja, Toni Mulet, Javi Cots, Vicent Ferri, Willy Mylemans)
(5) Alicante. The Greater Spotted Eagle similar to Tonn but without satellite antenna (Not Tonn) was seen at El Hondo on 18.1 (Graham Critchell) and 25.1 (Malcolm Palmer, Barry Chambers).
(6) Valencia. There was a bird at Marjal de Pego-Oliva, Valencia, on 8.1 (Jeremy Snow).
(2) Cádiz . There was one ad winter plumaged bird on 4.1 at Corrales de Chipiona, Chipiona, Cádiz (José María Fernández Zapata)
(2) A Coruña. On 14.1 the returning adult 'Barrilete' remained at ría de Lires, Muxia, A Coruña (Daniel López-Velasco, Nacho Castelao, Cosme Damián Romay). It was seen again on 30.1 at Lires, Cée/Muxía, A Coruña (Cosme Damián Romay). See a photo below and thumbnail here.
(3) A Coruña. On 30.1 a 1w was found at Lires, Cée/Muxía, A Coruña (Cosme Damián Romay). See a photo below and thumbnail here.
(2) Barcelona. On 5.1 a 1w presumed male was seen at river Llobregat, by the bridge under construction, El Prat de Llobregat, Barcelona (Ricard Gutiérrez). See a video below. On 7.1 it was seen again (Ferran López).
(3) Girona. On 15.1 there was a 1w at Blanes harbour, Girona (Marcel Gil et al). See a photo below and thumbnail here.
(4) Cádiz. On 18.1 a bird with green ring 'XUDP' was seen at Chipiona, Cádiz (Rafael García Costales). See a photo below and thumbnail here. This bird had been seen before: it had been ringed at Lausitz and seen at Chipiona, Cádiz on 11.1.2014 (José María Fdez Zapata, Rafa García et al). This german-ringed bird had been seen in Algarve, Portugal in late December 2013 and there is an analysis of its identification in the Gaviotas y Anillas blog here. More data on the recovery of the bird in Rafael García Costales blog here.
(2) A Coruña. On 25.1 a 2w reached Cariño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia, Antonio Gutiérrez).
(3) Asturias . On 20.1 (Ignacio R. Suárez Bertrand) and 26.1 a 1w was seen at Ría de Avilés, Asturias (Manuel Quintana Becerra y Conchi Ovín Ania). Record submitted to the CR-SEO/BirdLife.
(4) A Coruña. On 30.1 a c.f. 1w was seen at Farallones de San Ciprián, Cervo, Lugo (Ricardo Hevia).
(2) Asturias . On 18.11 a 1w was seen at Playa de Xivares, Carreño, Asturies (José Antonio García Cañal).
Many of Galicia observations summarized here thanks to effort of collation by Antonio Gutiérrez and help of Ricardo Hevia
(2-3) A Coruña. On 3.1 there were two 1w at playa de San Jorge, Ferrol, A Coruña (Paco Girón). They were photographed before leaving the area flying to Doniños beach (Antonio Gutiérrez). See a photo below.
(4) A Coruña. On 5.1 an adult reached Cariño, A Coruña. it was presumably the same bird seen previously at O Vicedo that moved there (José Luis Lorenzo, Ricardo Hevia). See a photo and video below (Ricardo Hevia). Still there on 12.1 (Ricardo Hevia). On 16-18.1 it remained there (Ricardo Hevia). See a thumbnail here. On 21-25.1 it was still there (Ricardo Hevia). Still there on 30.1 (Ricardo Hevia), see another photo below (R.Hevia).
(5-6) Lugo . Two 1w were seen at San Ciprián, Cervo, Lugo on 11.1 (Ricardo Hevia)
(7-9) A Coruña. On 14.1 there were two 1w at Nemiña beach, Muxia, A Coruña (seen previously on 11.1 by Fernando Pereiras) and a 2w at Lires, A Coruña (Cosme Damián Romai). Still there on 31.1 (Cosme Damian Romay)
(10) A Coruña. On 16.1 a second 'mottled' adult reached Cariño, A Coruña. See a photo below and thumbnail here (Ricardo Hevia). On 21-27.1 it was still there (Ricardo Hevia). See another photo below.
(11) A Coruña. On 18.1 a second winter bird was found at Cariño, A Coruña. See a photo below and thumbnails here (Ricardo Hevia), Still there on 30.1 (Ricardo Hevia).
(12) Lugo. On 18.1 an adult was seen feeding on a carcase at Farallones de San Ciprián, Cervo, Lugo (Ricardo Hevia). See a thumbnail here (Ricardo Hevia),
(13) Asturias. On 17.1 a 1w was found at El Musel, Xixón, Asturias (Pablo Fernández). On 18.1 it was seen and photographed again (Xuan Cortés). See a photo below.
(14) Málaga. On 21.1 a 1w was seen at Puerto de la Caleta, Málaga (Francisco Botella)
(15) Pontevedra. On 23.1 a 1w was at Cabo Udra, Pontevedra (José Ramón Gómez)
(16) Pontevedra. On 23.1 an adult was seen at Cabo Home, Pontevedra (José Ramón Gómez)
(17) A Coruña. On 23.1 a 1w was at playa de Matadoiro, Arteixo, A Coruña (Xabier Varela).
(18) La Graciosa One 1w was seen at La Graciosa island, N of Lanzarote on 25.1 (pers.com. to F.Javier García Vargas, who identified the species). On 26.1 it was seen and photographed again (David Pérez, sea a photo below and thumbnails here). Only then it was known that the individual was lingering around the island since 23.1 (Antonio Portales). This bird was still at La Graciosa on 27.1 (Antonio Portales). See more information on this gull at David Pérez blog here.
(19) Ceuta. On 19.1 and adult reached Ceuta beach of Tarajal (Miguel Angel Guirado et al). See an entry with photos in Gaviotas y Pardelas blog here.
(20) A Coruña. On 14.1 one was seen at Traba beach, Laxe, A Coruña (José Luis Rabuñal; José Ramón Bugallo)
(21) A Coruña. On 17.1 one 2w was seen at Boca do Río, Porto do Son, A Coruña (Juan Cabeza).
(22) A Coruña. On 1.1 there were was one 1w at Playa de Ponzos, Ferrol, A Coruña (David Martínez Lago).
(23) A Coruña. On 5.1 a 2w was seen at Langosteira, Fisterra, A Coruña (Manolo Carregal & Graciela Fernández).
(24) A Coruña. On 5.1 a 1w was at Lires, Muxia, A Coruña (Manolo Carregal & Graciela Fernández).
(25) A Coruña. On 6.1 a 1w corpse was found at Santa Cruz, Oleiros, A Coruña (Antonio López Porto).
(26) A Coruña. On 7.1 an adult corpse was found at Bares beach, Mañón, A Coruña (Pablo Pita).
(27-29) A Coruña. Besides the two 1w mentioned in (7-9), there were actually three more birds on 11.1: another 1w and two 2w (Fernando Pereiras de la Cal).
(30) A Coruña. On 20.1 an adult was seen at Lariño, Carnota, A Coruña (Ramsés Pérez).
(31) A Coruña. On 22-23.1 an adult was at Ortegal cape, Cariño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia). See a thumbnail here from 23.1 (R.Hevia)
(32) A Coruña. On 21.1 & 23.1 a 3w was at Ortegal cape, Cariño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia). See a thumbnail here from 23.1 (R.Hevia). This bird probably moved to Cariño beach on 24.1 with the 1w also present there, see below and under bird (27) (Ricardo Hevia). Still there on 27.1 (R.Hevia)
(33) A Coruña. On 21.1 a new 2w/3w was at Cariño harbour, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia). This bird remained there on 30.1 (Ricardo Hevia).
(34) A Coruña. On 22-23.1 a new 2w was at Cariño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia). See a photo below from 22.1 and a thumbnail here from 23.1 (R.Hevia). Seen again on 24-26.1 (R.Hevia, see below).
(35) A Coruña. On 23.1 a 1w was at Ortegal cape, Cariño, A Coruña (Ricardo Hevia). See a thumbnail here from 23.1 (R.Hevia). This bird probably moved to Cariño beach on 24.1 with the 3w also presen there, see below (Ricardo Hevia)
(36) A Coruña. On 20.1 a possible 4w was at Playa do Pindo, Carnota, A Coruña (Ramsés Pérez).
(37-38) Lugo. On 30.1.2014 Larus hyperboreus 4w/ad + 1w Lago, Xove, Lugo (Ricardo Hevia)
(39-41) A Coruña. On 31.1 there were 3 1w/2w at Nemiña beach, Muxia, A Coruña (Cosme Damián Romay)
(3) Fuerteventura Betancuria area. On 31.12 a bird was found by the children's play area between the church and the car park (David Walsh). This bird remained there on 5.1 (Eckhard Moeller). Two birds were seen there on 15.1 (Pete Marsh and Jean Roberts).
(4-6) Fuerteventura Ajuy area. On 1.1 there were 2 (David Walsh) and three individuals were located at the gorge 1-2 km before the village (David Walsh, Eckhard Moeller).
(7) Fuerteventura Pájara area. On 3.1 one bird was found (Eckhard Moeller). There were four there on 17.1 (Pete Marsh and Jean Roberts).
(8) Lanzarote One was found near Montaña Blanca, Lanzarote, on 5.1 (Juan Sagardía). On 6.1 it remained there (Juan Sagardía).
(9-11) Lanzarote The three birds seen in or near Teguise Golf, Lanzarote in December, were relocated on 6.1 (Juan Sagardía).
(12) Lanzarote There was another new bird at Teguise, Lanzarote on 6.1 (Juan Sagardía).
(13-15) Lanzarote There were three more new birds elsewhere in Lanzarote on 9.1 (Juan Sagardía).
(16-20) Lanzarote Five new birds were relocated elsewhere in Lanzarote on 10.1 including one ringed bird carrying a German ring HELGOLAND GERMANY V459... at Los Valles, Teguise, Lanzarote (Juan Sagardía). See a thumbnail here. According to Tobias Rautenberg via Rare Birds in Spain facebook page, the V459 is clearly part of the ring series used in Helgoland in late September 2013. About 25 different birds were ringed there and 15 of them on 28.9.2013 so probably that was the ring date of this bird in Germany before travelling into Lanzarote. This bird was seen again on 11.1 and 12.1 (David Pérez) when it was photographed again and it seems that the ring ends in '46'. See photos in his blog ornitoadicción here and a photo below (David Pérez). VL45946 ! Six remained by Costa Teguise, Lanzarote on 28.1 (Nacho Castelao).
(21) Fuerteventura Betancuria area. Two birds were seen there on 15.1 (Pete Marsh and Jean Roberts).
(22-24) Fuerteventura Pájara area. There were four there on 17.1 (Pete Marsh and Jean Roberts).
(25-26) Fuerteventura Caleta de Fuste area. There were two further birds on 17.1, one in Caleta de Fuste and another elsewhere in the island (Pete Marsh and Jean Roberts).
RARITIES ONLY FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS** Those species which are rarities only within the islands and are dealt with by CR/SEO are included here. Such records should be submitted to Juan Antonio Lorenzo at canarias @ seo.org** Canarian records of species which are rarities nationwide are included in the main text in violet type.
*** Ringed birds in Spain have to be submitted and accepted by CR/SEO-BirdLife, according to Environment Ministery of Spain and the authonomous communities agreements, to be accepted as valid ringings in the national database. Otherwise, non submitted or rejected records will be deleted and ringings will not be included in national or international databases. Ringers not submitting rare bird ringings will be listed. Submitting ringing records is hence specially encouraged as a contribution to global bird knowledge..
REPORTS OF NON RARITIES OR FORMER RARITIES
2005 this webpage only includes records of birds needing homologation
by CR/SEO. For other local rarities contact local bird reports or records
committees. See here those rarities only for the
Canary Islands also dealt by CR/SEO. Changes in application to the rarity
list from January 2006. New rarities include Sylvia curruca, Crex crex,
Sterna bengalensis and others. Larus delawarensis and Anthus
richardi have been withdrawn from the rarity list and are not be included
Recent reports includes the latest sightings from the whole of Spain which are both personal observations, communications or have been released in E-Mail lists. Please contact the authors before using any photo for anything else than personal reference. Any submitted news to this page will be forwarded to the Spanish RC for their knowledge if enough substantiated but inclusion in this page does not imply acceptance or homologation of any kind which needs a form to be sent.Photos could be cropped for editorial reasons.Gibraltar news are included thanks to Gibraltar Ornithological & Natural History Society but this has no more implication than the sake of completeness given this area situation. Names of localities are featured as given by the authors of the records, that should be cited as those. Today news are marked with a icon. We would welcome to receive a spare copy of those journals using these news for commercial purposes. Contact RG at address at the front page. From April 2005 only news of rarities needing homologation by the Spanish Rarities Committee are included. Reproduction of the contents of this page in commercial websites (e.g. *.com) or for commercial purposes is forbidden if not agreed in advance.. Go back to top
Citas recientes incluye las últimas novedades del conjunto del país que tanto son observaciones personales, comunicaciones al autor o noticias difundidas en listas de correo. Por favor contacten los autores para cualquier uso de las fotografias fuera del estrictamente personal.Cualquier cita que se envie a esta página sera reenviada al CR/SEO para su conocimiento, pero su inclusión aquí no implica su aceptación u homologación de ningún tipo y son responsabilidad de sus autores y del envío de la ficha correspondiente. Los nombres de las localidades se incluyen como son enviadas por los colaboradores, que deben ser citados como autores de las citas. Las fotos que se envíen podrán ser recortadas por criterios editoriales.Las noticias más recientes se marcan con Desde Abril de 2005 se incluyen únicamente citas de rarezas que necesitan homologación por el Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife. La reproducción total o parcial de los contenidos de esta página está prohibida en sitios web comerciales (p.ej. *.com) si no se autoriza de antemano. Ir al inicio de la página
Cites recents inclou les darreres novetats del conjunt de l'estat que són observacions pròpies, comunicacions o noticies difoses a llistes de correu. Si us plau contacteu amb els autors de les fotos per a a qualsevol ús fora de l'estrictament personal. Qualsevol cita que sigui enviada a aquesta plana serà rebotada també al CR/SEO si bé la seva publicació aquí no implica la seva aceptació o homologació de cap mena i és responsabilitat dels seus autors que haurien d'enviar la fitxa corresponent emplenada. Els noms de les localitats són posats tal i com són enviats pels autors, que han de ser referenciats com a autors de les cites. Les fotos que s'envïin podran ser retallades per criteris editiorals.Les notícies més recents són les marcades amb.Desd'Abril de 2005 únicament s'inclouen cites de rareses que necessiten homologació pel Comité de Rarezas de SEO/Birdlife.La reproducció total o parcial dels continguts d'aquesta plana és prohidia per a qualsevol lloc web de caire comercial (e.g. *.com) sinó s'ha autoritzat de forma prèvia. Tornar a l'inici de la plana.
@rarebirdspain twitter timeline Tweets by @rarebirdspain
Post your sightings live with hashtag #rarebirdspain
|Number of rarities this month||Citations / Citaciones / Com citar|
|Rarity distribution this month||Rarity forecast|
|Search within Rare Birds in Spain||Available past reports|
|Month Overview||Resumen del mes|
|Bird news||Resum del mes|
Recent reports | Rarities Committee Reports | Statistics| Photos | Files | Identification | Links | Homepage
Rarebirdspain bird-racing team | Rarebirdspain BLOG | Birds in Spain BLOG | Rarebirdspain Birding Team BLOG
Designed to be seen in >1280 x900 resolution with Java enabled browsers.